Sunday, February 14, 2010

When vacationing in North west Arkansas!


Why yes! that is Arctic Blue colored water, and yes it is in the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas. This beauty of a picture was taken on the way to the Little Missouri Falls. Its a 16 mile hiking trail nestled in the North West region of the mountains of the beautiful rugged Ouachita National Forest. The little Missouri Falls is only about 5 miles from Camp Albert Pike, and is about 25 miles from Glenwood Arkansas. The roads are paved only halfway to your destination and the rest is a gorgeous mystery. Surrounded by breath taking drops just inches from your window, and walls of mountain towering tall above your head. This spot is sure to catch the hearts of all passersby, and even the locals, like me! The trail is a moderate or strenuous trail. It is not a place to would take wandering two-five year olds, but it is a quite beautiful place to picnic with the family. The trail takes you across steel enforced man made bridge-ways crossing the river and paths that tower above the river some 50-75 feet at times.
The dirt and gravel roads may gain victorious on small compact vehicles. although we did make our way up and down the mountain in the snow and mud with my 2001 Honda Civic. If you take pride in your vehicle and the cleanliness of it. please heed my warning and take a truck! The roads are not informative as far as telling you what is where, but there are a few signs along the way. Just when you feel like your lost and in the middle of no where, you have actually made it! Here are a few pictures from our experience I hope you like them!



Map Pictures Thanks to Google Maps
Other pictures were taken by me Jessica DuToit 2010

1 comment:

  1. Nice pics, Jessica!
    Thanks for your recent comment about Arkansas... well, I hope you aren't mad at me because of what I wrote, but I was totally upset seeing that mess and wasting my time on the road, waiting on long lines, and the state admin doing nothing. I know there's a mess in TX too, but lucky me, I never got into any snow/ice storm... at least in Houston if it snows, in few hours the white stuff is gone...
    BTW, during the summer AR is a beautiful state!

    Best wishes,
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete